This is a delicious dish that can be served as a side or as a dessert. The sweetness of the yams really “pops” with the addition of coconut oil and ground cinnamon. I’m looking forward to making this for the holidays this year and the best part is, it is a 100% vegan and gluten free recipe so even my mother (Who follows a gluten free vegan lifestyle) can enjoy them!
- 2 – 4 Sweet Potatoes
- 2 – 4 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1+ tbsp of ground cinnamon (I use a LOT more than this!)
- Skin each sweet potato, then slice into 1 inch thick slices.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil then add sweet potatoes. (There should be enough water to just cover the top of the yams in the pot)
- Boil for 20 minutes then test for softness by using the side of a fork to cut through a piece. The fork should pass through easily.
- Strain sweet potatoes, then transfer back to pot.
- Coat the sweet potatoes with cinnamon and add coconut oil, then use a potato masher or a beater to whip the sweet potatoes to a creamy texture.
- Continue to add cinnamon to flavor while whipping.
- Plate and serve.